1. What is your topic?
Molecular Biology.
2. What is the driving problem behind your experiment and the quote by an expert to support that problem? (Expert citation must be MLA format.)
Thanks to new and old technologies alike, scientists have
been able to push forward to make amazing breakthroughs in medicine. But, there
is still a lot of work to be done, especially when it comes to diseases. With
this experiment I will be seeing if there is a correlation between working with
HeLa cells and creating patents for researched materials. Once I find out if
there is a correlation or not, I will contact some researchers to see what they
feel makes the biggest difference in patent publishing, so that I can narrow
down a career path for myself.
“The new medicine that people are trying to develop would
target the root,” she continues. Tlsty studies the role of telomeres,
the DNA at the ends of chromosomes, and centrosomes, organelles within
the cell that are involved in the separation of chromosomes as the cell
divides. For example, while a normally dividing cell has two centrosomes, each
pulling one set of chromosomes to each new cell, a cancer cell can have three
or four, making the DNA separate unevenly or even making one cell divide into
three or more. Variations in the number of centrosomes “...is one of the
earliest genetic changes in the development of a cancer cell,” Tlsty explains.
“What we really want is for medicine to be predictive and preventative. If we
can understand what those first few little changes are and eliminate those
cells, the hope is that we can eliminate cancer before it forms.” (Thea Tlsty,
researcher from the University of California, San Francisco, is speaking in the
quotes.)
"Cancer: Cells Behaving Badly." Exploratorium.edu.
The Museum of Science, Art and Human Perception at the Palace of Fine Arts,
n.d. Web. 8 Feb. 2013.
<http://www.exploratorium.edu/imaging-station/research/cancer/story_cancer4.php>.
3. What is your hypothesis? (Must be in If-Then form.)
If a university conducts research involving HeLa cells, then
they will publish more patents than universities that do not conduct research
with HeLa cells.
4. Write a paragraph
summary of how you will perform the experiment. Include the tools you
plan on using.
I will contact (at least) 22 different universities to find
out if they are doing/have done any research involving HeLa. I will record the number
of years that they have been working with HeLa cells. Then, I will look to
archives or data resources to find out how many patents those universities
published within a certain time period (the time period I end up using will
depend on the information I can find). Finally, I see if there is a correlation
between the sets of numbers I gather.
5. Select one of the following Project Categories for your experiment:
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
No comments:
Post a Comment