(1) Positive
Statement: What positive thing happen as a result of what you have completed so
far?
As a result of what I’ve completed so far, I’ve been able to
narrow a few things about my future down. I would like to look into the use of
algae for biofuel production and stem cell growth, because I think it has a lot
of unexplored potential. Also, I would like to earn a PhD so that I can be as well
educated about cells and molecular biology as possible. I’m also seriously
considering narrowing my topic down to biofuel production, based on all the
interesting research I’ve found about it.
(2) EQ Content: Pick a piece of research or your interview. How has it helped you improve your understanding of your topic?
My interview with my mentor has really helped me to build
interest in my topic. I thought I’d been interested before, but after hearing
my mentor talk about her work with algae cells, I’ve become really excited to continue
working with her throughout the project. Thanks to the interview, I’ve also learned
a lot about what it takes to be a serious scientist and how I need to prepare
myself to work on this topic.
(3) What has worked for you so far in the senior project?
(3) What has worked for you so far in the senior project?
So far, looking for research that explains the basic
mechanisms of different types of cells has helped me to prepare for more lab
work. Also, finding newer articles and information is helping me to keep up-to-date
with what’s currently being done in the field of molecular biology.
(4) What hasn't worked so far?
(4) What hasn't worked so far?
So far, reading extensive articles that include a lot of
terms I don’t know has been a really bad idea. Some assume that the reader
already is aware of certain things, so it’s required me to do extra reading
that might not really contribute to my project.
(5) Finding Value: Based on your experience so far,
(5) Finding Value: Based on your experience so far,
- What possible question or questions come to mind regarding what you would like to study this year (don't list questions about the instructions relating to the senior project)?
How has molecular biology affected science?
What is the most promising research being done in molecular
biology?
- What is your end goal this year with your senior project (don't say get a good grade or gain knowledge, put specific things you want to accomplish in your senior project this year)
I want to impress a scholarship committee and/or be offered
a scholarship/grant by one of the colleges that I’m accepted into because of my
research and lab work.
- Who would you like to talk to you next? Why?
I’d like to talk to my former BIO 110 teacher, Dr. Ewers,
about what she teaches in her classes. She’s a microbiologist, and she’s doing
work with my mentor right now. She’s also the person that recommended me to my
mentor for my mentorship hours this summer. I feel that she could offer me a
lot of insight into working in a lab, as well as more information about the
research that they’re conducting.
No comments:
Post a Comment