Sunday, April 14, 2013

Update: HeLa Cells in the News

In our upcoming research check, I'm including a really special article. Being that HeLa cells was my first answer, I've been looking at information that's popped up recently concerning them and found this: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, the Sequel, by Rebecca Skloot.

Rebecca Skloot was the author of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which I read in sophomore year. It first sparked my interest in molecular biology, and led me to HeLa cells as my first answer. In this new article, published this past March in the New York Times, Ms. Skloot talks about the recent release of the HeLa genetic code. This caused a lot of controversy because the family of Henrietta Lacks apparently had no idea that it was going to be published. I look forward to reading more into that article and taking margin notes for it.

The Article

No comments:

Post a Comment