Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Blog 16: 2-Hour Meeting Answer #2



1.  What is your essential question?

What molecular biological development has made the biggest impact in curing human diseases?

2.  What is your second answer to your essential question (write your second answer in a complete sentence)?

The development of the scanning electron microscope (SEM) has made the biggest impact in curing human diseases.

3.  What are three details to support or justify your second answer (details are examples or facts)?

-          SEMs allow scientists to observe the texture and structure of cells, which can help to classify different types of cells.
-          Because electrons are being bounced off of a sample to create an image, a scientist can move or rotate the sample while its being observed.
-          Can be used to see inside viruses (with new technologies) (referenced from http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-03/worlds-most-powerful-optical-microscope-can-let-researchers-see-inside-viruses-and-human-cells-no-ele)

4.  What source helped you prove this answer is justified for your essential question?

-          (PopSci article above) : SEMs can be used to view active viruses in culture.
-          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK9941/ : types of images an SEM can create.

5.  What do you plan to study next with your second answer and why?  (You would say "I plan to continue my study of answer 2 by doing ____________"?)

I plan to continue my study of answer 2 by trying to actually see an SEM up close. I just got invited to a workshop at one of the universities I’ve applied to, and I might be able to see one then. I’ll also talk with my mentor to see if Cal Poly has any on campus that I can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment